Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Molepolole Running Club...Open to All Ages

So I have unintentionally started a kids running group. I decided the other day to start running around the block near my house, so I got all ready, went outside, and was welcomed by half the kids on my block. This is more common than not, to walk outside and find 10 kids watching my every move.

Anyways, I explained to them that I was going for a run and they all decided they wanted to come with. So here I am with a group of children ranging from age 2 to 12 following me like a pack around the block. Turns out they are great motivators since everytime we found ourselves back at my house they said …”again, more gyming!”. Apparently “gyming” and “running” are synonymous here.

I also had a great excuse to take breaks since the 2 year old running with us could never keep up so if we all got to far ahead she would start crying. So every now and then I would stop, for the sake of the 2 year old of course.

I was telling someone at home about this recently and they said “That would never happen in the states”. Parents wouldn’t just let their kids run around near dark all over the block. Interestingly enough, I am pretty sure most parents here didn’t even know where their kids were. Kids seem to have a lot of leeway in Botswana. As long as they are home for dinner and a bath at some point, they spend the rest of the day all over the neighborhood playing with other kids.

I have always been really impressed by kids here. They are content playing in trees or with small toys they find in the dirt. Not that they really know anything different. They are entirely capable of entertaining themselves without the help of Nintendo or TV or other mass produced products that defined my childhood. Another volunteer here recently said in a conversation when discussing this same topic, “My kids are gonna hate me, all they are gonna get from me to play with is a stick and a rock!”

Hanging out with the kids on my block has become something I really look forward to after work everyday and with this new running club, my 2012 resolution to stay in shape will become a reality!

No comments:

Post a Comment